Service Dogs 101 | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » DOGS » General
mod
Some of you may know or may not know that I am my momma's Service dog. What that means is that I have the privilege to go anywhere with her and help take care of her. Well we are going to share a post momma put on facebook the other night and then we are going to share our story of love that momma and I wrote last year.

invisible/visible disabilities: There are many of these including diabetes, ptsd and many others. If you had met me on the street you wouldn't know that I have had diabetes for 39 years of my life. If you had met my dad you wouldn't know he suffers from PTSD. there are many disabilities out there that you can't see on the outside but they are real and they do exist.
Service dogs are dogs that provide a medically necessary task for their owners. In my case Sasha has been medically trained to detect my low blood sugars.She is nationally registered as a service dog and go pretty much everywhere I go. The reason I have her is that my invisible disability is called hypoglycemic unawareness. This means I don't have the usual symptoms that other people have when their blood sugars are going low. Which can be extremely dangerous. That is why I have Sasha she has been trained to detect the scent change when this happens and she lets me know when I need to check my sugar. Dogs are amazing creatures that can do many things. Sasha makes my life complete and well worth everything I have put into her.

http://thejourneyoflovesashastory.wordpress.com/
Attachments:
  phone time at mom's office.jpg (233.6Kb)